I Cut Apple Out of My Life. It was Devastating - Gizmodo

Go down

I Cut Apple Out of My Life. It was Devastating - Gizmodo Empty I Cut Apple Out of My Life. It was Devastating - Gizmodo

Post by bdahm on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am

When I first conceived of this experiment—cutting the tech giants out of my life one-by-one—I hadn’t thought to include Microsoft (because I use very few of their products) or Apple (because I use so many of theirs).

I have two MacBook Airs, one for personal use and one supplied by my work. I have an iPhone that I nicknamed “tech appendage.” My husband and I have a shared iPad2 that I use at the gym and that we rely on to keep our 1-year-old daughter happy on flights and long car rides.
Apple is my gateway to almost all things digital. 

I am physically touching an Apple device for the majority of any given day. Being asked to remove Apple from my life was like being asked to remove a part of my body that was incredibly useful but that I could live without, like a finger or an eyeball.

https://gizmodo.com/i-cut-apple-out-of-my-life-it-was-devastating-1831063868

Note: Though I am reducing my mobile usage, I don't thing I could go this far.
-Bill

bdahm
Admin

View user profile http://www.tinyurl.com/thaijournal

Back to top Go down

I Cut Apple Out of My Life. It was Devastating - Gizmodo Empty Re: I Cut Apple Out of My Life. It was Devastating - Gizmodo

Post by Stefan-UK on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:33 pm

That is an interesting article, one of five. I'm doing the same thing, getting away from Google and Facebook. The latter is tricky as there are links to friends and business partners, so I just cut down the usage.

Microsoft is no longer relevant since I closed my email accounts with them and no longer use the OS for mission critical stuff, only for updating the BIOS and such.

Apple I rarely use, can't remember my iCloud details. Have a nice MacBook and an iPad Mini 4, but find them limited compared to Linux. They look good though.

Twitter I have, but don't use much. It seems relatively harmless, but is not mission critical.

My Google Nexus 7 Tablet is now Google free, running Lineage OS (lineageos.org) which brings it up to date again. Samsung phones are next on the list. Will cancel my gmail accounts once I have cancelled other services that use it for contact.

All the above I'm replacing with Free and Open Source Software alternatives and services. Life has become a lot simpler now.

-Stefan

Stefan-UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum