Chiang Mai Computer Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to unlock PDF files for saving

2 posters

Go down

How to unlock PDF files for saving Empty How to unlock PDF files for saving

Post by cnxnoise Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 pm

I am a frequent user of secure U.S. govt PDF forms and use Adobe Acrobat Pro XI (licensed version).  I find that when I download the form from a govt site, fill it in, and save it, I have no problem.  But when I go back and modify the content and want to save it to the same name, it forces me to SAVE AS DIFFERENT NAME.   Once or twice, it would not matter.  But I fill in so many forms and have to edit them who knows how many times, it becomes labor intensive and I end up with 3, 4, or more copies.

It does not make sense to me that I can fill it in and save it with whatever name I want but can not re-open it, edit it, and then save it with the same name.  But that is what I find I am force to do.

I have Googled how to unlock the files and nothing I find seems to specifically state I can delete the U.S. govt security protecting the file.  

Does any one have experience clearing restrictions placed on a form by the author?
cnxnoise
cnxnoise

Back to top Go down

How to unlock PDF files for saving Empty Re: How to unlock PDF files for saving

Post by Siam Jerry Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:01 pm

No experience, but couldn't you save the changed file to a new name and then immediately reopen it and save the file to the original name.

Siam Jerry

Back to top Go down

Post by cnxnoise Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:18 am

Yes, but it is not the name of the file that is important or bothering me. It is having to SAVE AS NEW NAME each version.

Saving version #2 as original file name is no different than saving it as #3. If I have to edit that file, I then still need to save as NEW NAME. Then if I edit NEW NAME, save back to original name? In my case, I would say it will be easier for me to keep track by simply adding 1, 2, 3, etc., to each revision so I can more easily track my history.

Sure, I could check the file dates and times, but......

Now this assumes I can not find an unlocked version to begin with. Howard offered up the suggestion that I search the OMB form number vice, say, the VA form number. He did a test and I tested a 2nd form and both were "saveable". Now if all the forms I need over time are available that way, the problem may be solved.
cnxnoise
cnxnoise

Back to top Go down

Post by cnxnoise Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:59 pm

PDF files now unlocked.  I am very sorry to have to say this but it was user error....after a fashion.   Turns out that, in my Win 7 OS, I have the preview pane visible in my explorer.  So when I pick a PDF file, it opens it in the preview pane as well as opening it in Adobe Acrobat. 

When my can not save msg appeared and said file open or protected, I always assumed it was protected.  It finally dawned on me that maybe it was open in the preview panel.  So when I looked and saw the same file, I moved the cursor to another file and then I could save.

PROBLEM SOLVED.  REBOOT THE USER.
cnxnoise
cnxnoise

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down