Chiang Mai Computer Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

internet speed for Fibre optic at night/evening

3 posters

Go down

internet speed for Fibre optic at night/evening Empty internet speed for Fibre optic at night/evening

Post by cmgogo Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Hello guys,

i wonder how is your internet speed in the evening like when you subscribe with fibre optic or similar high speed internet subscription ?
is online video streaming smooth?

cmgogo

Back to top Go down

internet speed for Fibre optic at night/evening Empty Re: internet speed for Fibre optic at night/evening

Post by bdahm Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 pm

I signed up for fiber-optic service with Sinet just after the first of the year. I had it for only a couple of months before leaving for a visit to the US. During that time I was able to confirm the service advertised speed of 32 Mbps down. This speed, however, applies only within Thailand. I did watch some iTV programs, which originated in Thailand and there were none of the slowdown or buffering I experienced with my 8 Mbps TOT connection in the evening. 

You certainly aren't going to get those optimal speeds internationally because there are a lot more moving parts. Nevertheless, my recollection from watching YouTube videos was that I didn't experience any problems. I  can't vouch for streaming HD TV or video internationally. I still prefer to download that traffic rather than stream it because I have more control over the playback.

-Bill

bdahm
Admin

http://www.tinyurl.com/thaijournal

Back to top Go down

internet speed for Fibre optic at night/evening Empty Re: internet speed for Fibre optic at night/evening

Post by cmgogo Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello bill,

Thanks alot.

cmgogo

Back to top Go down

Post by cnxnoise Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:16 pm

I have had True Fiber for a year now on a 15Mbps/1.5Mbps program and pretty much get that all the time, day and night.  I seldom check it but, when I do, it is that, including from out of country.  I seldom watch any video except for an occasional YouTube, so I may not be a good judge of when speeds are slow.
cnxnoise
cnxnoise

Back to top Go down

Post by bdahm Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:44 am

I have a SiNet fiber optic connection which gets 32 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up here in Thailand and pretty close to that to San Francisco most of the time. I don't stream a lot of video because I still prefer torrent downloads, which I can watch on my TV via Apple TV, but the video I have watched has been pretty good. I remember watching a couple of Apple Keynote presentations live and those were excellent. 

Overall streaming will vary depending on the time of the day. You may have issues with contention depending on how many people are active on your ISP segment here in Thailand at any given point and what the bandwidth contention is at the other end. For example during prime time evening hours in the US almost 40% of the bandwidth is being being taken up by Netflix.

Perhaps you can go to one of the fibre optics providers business locations and have them demonstrate their streaming capabilities during the time period you are interested in.

Hope this helps.

-Bill

bdahm
Admin

http://www.tinyurl.com/thaijournal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down